Thursday, June 19, 2014

Mozilla Foxfire and computer crashes


Have you ever felt like taking a hammer and bludgeoning a computer?  Or at least turning it over your knee and spanking its bare monitor?

I pity the households that don't have a young person to bail them out of computer problems.  Last night, I tried to check my email.  It was a bad, bad, bad move!  The computer froze.  A banner hover across the top of the monitor screen proclaiming "Mozilla Foxfire is not responding".  It sure as hell wasn't!  I couldn't get off the page.  I couldn't even turn the damn computer off.

I tried everything and then some.  I pressed every key and said every bad word imaginable  In exasperation, I finally fled the room and fetched the resident computer expert, my daughter.

She pressed every key and said a few bad words of her own.  Then she noticed that I was frothing at the mouth. 

She tried to comfort me.  "Ma, put the hammer down.  That won't fix the computer.  It will only make things worse."

"How could it get any worse?"

"Well, for starters, you could break the computer.  It isn't the computer, it's the server."

"HUH?"

"Mozilla.  It's Mozilla.  It keeps malfunctioning.  My computer keeps freezing on me, too."

"But, but but...I can't even turn it off!  I'm going to.."

With lightning fast reflexes, she grabbed my computer killing arm.  "Don't.  All that will do is hurt your hand and kill the computer.  Walk away.  Just walk away.  Eventually it will shut down.  Trust me, it will."

She led me away from the computer and shoved out of the room.  I found other ways to occupy myself.  After half an hour, my daughter said, "Ma, you can stop chewing up pencils and shredding paper now.  The computer has shut itself down." 



   

1 comment:

  1. Miss Resident Computer Expert Daughter would just like to point out that Mozilla Firefox is a browser, not a server, but that this post is otherwise accurate right down to the last detail. Of course. <3

    ReplyDelete