Thursday, April 3, 2014

Better feral cats than nasty squirrels

Ownership is an interesting human concept.  But it only works if everybody wants to play.  And then you don't really own anything, it's just on loan.  Default on your rent, taxes or mortgage and you're homeless.

Even if you are paid up, countless others are still living in your home.  Ants, spiders and all kinds of bugs live with you.  There could be snakes in your basement.  Outdoors there are insects.  Birds.  Reptiles.  Big and little mammals.

Overpopulation of any species can become a nightmare.  Whether it's birds bombing your patio, squirrels dropping down your chimney, deer eating your shrubbery or a yard slithering with snakes, too much of a good thing is not so great.  I've tried a house full of mice and I didn't like it.  Of course, for me mice are no longer a problem.  The cats take care of that.

If I had a choice of what other species I had to coexist with, I'd choose cats.  These beautiful creatures are as intelligent as many humans and more intelligent than some.  Feral cats are certainly better neighbors than some humans.  The cats do catch mice and don't tailgate or throw their coffee cups in my yard.

True, twenty something cats taxed my meager coping skills.  It wasn't easy to get the situation under control.  But even though there are still a couple zombie toms I'd like to throttle, there was no need to kill them.  Thanks to the feral cat infestation, I met some amazing creatures, made some wonderful friends and got some great neighbors.

Don't kill feral cats.  Spay them or neuter them and the problem of overpopulation will resolve its self.

Now those beady eyed squirrels are another story.  They're pure evil and those blank, black, shark eyes really freak me out.    

   

     

No comments:

Post a Comment