Saturday, April 26, 2014

Rolling in catnip


 I love catnip plants.  Unfortunately, I'm not the only one.  Catnip is to some cats what chocolate is to some humans.   

My cats can take or leave dried catnip but living catnip plants don't stand a chance around them.  They've also demolished cat mint plants and they like to lurk in the apple mint bed.

I don't mind them attacking the apple mint because it's taking over my yard.  These monster mint plants grow about waist high and are nearly indestructible.  The cats prowl in it and lie in it, but the stuff just keeps spreading.  Although the apple mint flowers attract hordes of bees, the strong smell must repel other kinds of bugs because the cats lounge in it all summer long.

Unfortunately, cat mint and catnip are not as sturdy as the monster mint and can't withstand a feline assault.  Cats can't resist the stuff and will kill a catnip plant within a few days.  I've tried caging the plants with wire fencing and discovered the fence has to be staked into the ground to stop the cats.  Even then, they still manage to get their paws in the fence holes and tear off most of the leaves and flowers.

Pet stores sell those expensive little pots of catnip and I've bought a few of those for the indoor cats.  But it only takes a day or two for six cats to demolish a four inch pot.  I've tried hiding the pots of catnip and doling the leaves out a few at a time but it still doesn't take long to strip a little plant of leaves.

Last summer I grew a flat of catnip from seed on the screen porch.  I was even able to protect the seedlings until they got big enough to defend themselves.  Unfortunately, towards the end of summer, the leaves began developing mold.  I tossed them.  Then in the middle of winter, the big plant I had in the house developed mold, too.  I haven't had much luck getting catnip seeds to germinate indoors so I'm back to buying pricy little pots.  But soon, the weather will be warm enough and we'll all be rolling in catnip again.    


No comments:

Post a Comment