Thursday, April 10, 2014

They don't just come out at night



Halloween is months away.  But that doesn't seem to matter in this neck of the woods.  Zombie tomcats furtively skulk in the deep shadows of midnight.  Their stealth is a wasted effort because their blood curdling howls and vile stench reveal their evil presence.  Do they dissolve in the light of the sun?

Unfortunately not.  I thought things would quiet down after Darryl went on a quarrantine vacation at the          animal shelter.  (Although unhappy to be caged, he's doing fine and will be released from jail soon.).  Poor     old Darryl had his paws full fending off mean ugly yellow cats.  But when he gets out of the slammer, he will have something worse to contend with.  There's a new beast in town.                                                                            
 The first few times I scared it off the porch, I thought it was a big racoon.  Then one time I banged on the window and it turned towards me.  It wasn't a raccoon, it was a cat!  From a distance, this beast is an impressive specimen.  Upon closer inspection, the Cat of Baskerville is mangy and matted.  Along with spray, it occasionally leaves a matted clump of hair as a calling card.                                                                                                       
For days now, I've been stalking this beast, trying to take its mugshot.  Although there was nothing wrong with the camera, the creature just wouldn't show up in the pictures.  And the creature was becoming more brazen.  Soon, invading the porch wasn't enough for this nervy poaching terror.  He began sinisterly lurking on the deck and announcing his presence by howling and spraying.  Desperate to prove that this creature really exists, I put a clove of garlic on the camera and voila!  As I snapped the pictures, I was assailed by an eerie feeling of deja vu.  There was something so familiar about his face.  I knew I had seen that baleful leer before.  And then it hit me.  Facially, the cat bears an uncanny resemblance to one of my neighbors.   Now this is scary.                                                                                                                                                  


No comments:

Post a Comment