Thursday, April 24, 2014

Little cat, big game


Ask any hungry blackfly or ravenous mosquito and she'll tell you:  You don't have to be big to be ferocious.  But pick on something bigger than yourself and you just might get swatted.

One summer day, I stepped out on the porch and looked around.  There were cats on the picnic table.  Cats in the grass.  As usual, there were cats everywhere.  But they weren't relaxed.  They were tense and watching something.  I looked in the direction Vixen was gazing and saw why they were all tense.  A few feet away from them strolled a huge turkey.  The first thing that struck me upon seeing the wild turkey was its size.  It was huge.  The second thing that struck me was how small Frodo looked as she stalked it. 

The adult cats weren't messing with the turkey.  Neither were the rest of the kittens.  I figured there was probably a good reason for this and that Frodo was going to get hurt.  I opened the screen door to step out.  The creak of the screen door opening must have startled the turkey.  It took off across the yard, waddling at a rapid pace.  Unfortunately, little Frodo went running after it, so I ran after her.

Maybe being stalked by a kitten didn't worry the turkey, but when the human started chasing it, the turkey got worried.  It ran faster.  Frodo wailed in anguish as her dinner flew up in the air and landed on a branch high above her head.  I grabbed the crazy little kitten as she began to climb the tree.

With Frodo in protective custody, I raced back into the house to get the camera.  I wasn't fast enough.  I was only able to snap a picture of Frodo's turkey dinner as it raced off into the woods.  



    



No comments:

Post a Comment